https://hygall.com/599164727
view 84
2024.08.04 13:30
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/28/arts/television/we-were-the-lucky-ones-logan-lerman.html

계속 한다 재업...허허 발번역 오역주의

Logan Lerman Honors Two Families in ‘We Were the Lucky Ones’
로건 레먼은 ‘행운은 우리에게’에서 두 가족을 기린다

In this Hulu adaptation of a Holocaust novel, Lerman plays a character inspired by two different grandfathers: the author’s and his own.
훌루의 홀로코스트 소설 각색판에서, 레먼은 2명의 할아버지로부터 영감을 받은 인물을 연기한다: 작가와 그 자신의 할아버지.

IMG_8225.jpeg

Logan Lerman has been an actor for more than two decades, starting at age 5, and he’s been sent a number of scripts about the Holocaust. They read as exploitative to him.
로건 레먼은 5살에 연기를 시작한 후 20여 년 동안 홀로코스트에 대한 수많은 대본을 받았다. 그에겐 그것들이 착취되는 것처럼 읽혔다.

“That’s always rubbed me the wrong way,” he said. “I’m like, ‘No, that doesn’t feel right.’”
“그건 항상 저를 틀린 방식으로 건드리더라고요,”그가 말했다. “전 ‘아뇨, 맞는 것 같지 않아요.’라고 반응했어요.”

But the story of the Shoah he now stars in, “We Were the Lucky Ones,” felt different to the performer best known for his work in films like “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” (2012) and “Fury” (2014).
하지만 현재 그가 출연한 홀로코스트 이야기 “행운은 우리에게”는 “월플라워(2012)”와 “퓨리(2014)”로 잘 알려진 배우에게 다르게 느껴졌다.

Based on the novel of the same title by Georgia Hunter, the eight-episode series premieres Thursday on Hulu. It tracks the members of the Kurc family as they are dispersed throughout Eastern Europe, where they live, and elsewhere when the Nazis invade. Lerman, 32, stars as Addy Kurc, a musician who has been living in Paris and finds himself unable to get home to Radom, Poland. His journey takes him to Casablanca and eventually Rio de Janeiro, all while he is unaware of the fates of his beloved siblings and parents. As the title would imply, this is less a story of loss than it is of survival.
조지아 헌터가 쓴 동명의 소설에 기반한 8회분의 시리즈는 목요일부터 훌루에서 공개된다. 이야기는 Kurc 일가가 그들이 살던, 한 편에서는 나치가 침공한 동유럽에서 뿔뿔이 흩어진 길을 쫓는다.
32살의 레먼은 파리에 거주하던, 자신의 고향인 폴란드 라돔으로 돌아갈 수 없게 된 음악가 Addy Kurc를 연기했다. 그의 여정은 그가 사랑하는 형제자매와 부모의 운명을 모르고 있는 동안, 카사블랑카를 거쳐 리우데자네이루에까지 이르게 된다. 제목이 암시하듯, 이것은 생존보다는 상실에 관한 이야기다.

While Hunter’s book is fictional, the Kurcs are named for and based on her maternal grandfather’s family, and their sagas were derived from her extensive research into their experiences. A co-executive producer of the series, she shared that background with Lerman as he set out to play Addy, who is based on her grandfather. But the actor reached into his own personal history as well, channeling his own grandfather, who was also a Jewish refugee during World War II. The result is a performance that combines both family histories, paying tribute to Hunter and Lerman’s ancestry in the process.
헌터의 책은 허구지만 Kurc들의 성은 그녀의 외가로부터, 그들의 이야기는 외가의 경험들에 대한 그녀의 광범위한 조사로부터 유래되었다. 시리즈의 공동제작자로서, 그녀는 그런 배경을 그녀의 할아버지를 연기하는 레먼과 공유했다. 하지만 그는 역시 2차 세계대전 동안 유대인 난민이었던 그의 할아버지를 통해 그의 개인적인 역사 또한 활용했다. 결과는 양쪽 가계의 역사를 결합한 연기로 헌터와 레먼의 선조에 경의를 표하게 되었다.

“I also wanted to do it for the reason that I was like, ‘Oh I want to show my grandfather this,’” Lerman said in a video call.
“저는 어떤 이유에서 이걸 맡고 싶었어요, ‘할아버지한테 보여드리고 싶네요.라고 했죠.” 레먼은 화상통화를 통해 말했다.

Max Lerman, Lerman’s paternal grandfather, ended up in China after fleeing Germany. He died last year, but his grandchild grew up hearing his tales.
“It was always a blur to me, because I didn’t know what was real or what was fake and made up for the imaginative bedtime story I was told as a kid,” Lerman said.
레먼의 친할아버지 맥스 레먼은 독일을 떠난 후 중국에 도착했다. 그는 작년에 작고했지만 그의 손자는 그의 이야기를 들으며 자랐다.
“뭐가 진짜고 가짜인지 저에겐 항상 흐릿하게 느껴졌어요, 그래서 어릴때 잠자리에서 들었던 상상 속의 이야기로 보충하고는 했죠” 레먼이 말했다.

He added: “Learning about it as I got older, it was complicated, emotionally understanding it, the emotional truth of it for my grandfather.”
그가 덧붙이길: “나이를 먹으면서 그거에 대해 배웠고, 복잡했는데, 할아버지를 위해 그 감정적인 진실을 이해했어요”

Lerman said he thought about his grandfather throughout filming and incorporated some of his mannerisms into his performance. It’s the kind of deeply felt tie to the material the creators of “We Were the Lucky Ones” looked for when they cast the Kurcs, all played by Jewish actors. (Other stars include Joey King, Robin Weigert, Henry Lloyd-Hughes and Lior Ashkenazi.)
레먼은 촬영하는 동안 그의 할아버지에 대해 생각했고 할아버지의 몇몇 버릇을 연기에 녹여냈다고 했다. 그건 “행운은 우리에게”의 제작자들이, 모두 유대인 배우가 연기한 Kurc 가족을 섭외할 때 찾던 일종의 깊은 유대감이었다. (다른 배우들은 조이 킹, 로빈 웨이거트, 헨리 로이드-휴즈 그리고 라이어 애쉬케나지이다.)

“We weren’t prescriptive about what Jewishness meant,” the showrunner Erica Lipez said. “It’s interesting to have a mix of people who are religious, those who are not, those who don’t practice, those who have family connections but haven’t been raised in that way.”
“저희는 유대인다움이 뭘 의미하는지 규정하지 않았어요,” 쇼러너 에리카 리페즈가 말했다. “신앙심 깊고, 깊지 않고, 습관으로 하지 않고, 가족 내에 연결점이 있지만 그런 방향으로 자라지 않은 사람들과 함께 한 건 흥미로웠어요.”

Lerman said he generally doesn’t feel strongly about whether Jewish parts are played by Jewish actors, but “I understand that people will connect with it differently knowing that, though.”
레먼은 대게 유대인 역이 유대인 배우에 의해 연기되는 것에 예민하게 생각지 않는다면서도, “사람들이 그걸 다르게 반응할 것도 이해해요.”라고 답했다.

Lerman has played explicitly Jewish characters only a few times before, including in a 2016 film adaptation of Philip Roth’s novel “Indignation,” directed by James Schamus. Most recently he starred in the Amazon Prime Video series “Hunters,” a revenge fantasy about a group fighting Nazis in the 1970s. While “Hunters,” which ran two seasons and ended last year, covers some of the same thematic material as “We Were the Lucky Ones” — including the lingering scars of the Holocaust — Lerman saw the two as worlds apart, given the campy tone of the Amazon series.
레먼은 필립 로스의 동명 소설을 영화화한 제임스 샤머스 감독의 2016년 영화 “인디그네이션“을
포함해 명백한 유대인 캐릭터를 단 몇 번만 연기했다. 가장 최근엔 1970년대에 나치와 싸우는 단체를 다룬 아마존 프라임 비디오 시리즈의 복수극 판타지 “헌터스”에 출연했다. 작년에 종영한 총 2시즌의 “헌터스”는 홀로코스트의 오랜 상처를 포함해 “행운은 우리에게”와 어느정도 같은 주제를 지닌다. 레먼은 그 둘을 다른 세상처럼 바라보고 아마존 시리즈의 과장스런 톤을 부여했다.

“I was looking to do something very different,” he said. (He added that “Hunters,” with its silliness and over-the-top violence, was much less grandfather-friendly.)
그는 “뭔가 아주 다른 걸 해보고 싶었어요,”라고 말했다. (그리고 “헌터스“는 그것의 바보같음과 폭력성이 덜 할아버지친화적이라고 덧붙였다.)

Because Addy was such a meaningful character for Hunter, who was present for much of the shoot, Lipez said that they looked for someone who would “take great care” with playing him. They also knew they wanted to hire an actor with musical talent, who could play Addy’s real-life compositions for the show. While Lerman isn’t known as a musician, he plays the piano and has “music in his DNA,” according to the director and executive producer Thomas Kail, best known for directing “Hamilton” on Broadway.
Addy가 헌터에게 의미있는 캐릭터였고 대부분의 촬영에 존재할 것이기 때문에, 리페즈는 그를 연기하기 위해 “굉장히 신경을 쓸” 사람을 찾았다고 했다. 그들은 거기에 Addy의 실제 작곡가로서의 삶을 연기하기 위해 음악적 재능도 있는 사람을 섭외하고 싶었다. 레먼은 뮤지션으로서 알려져있지 않았기에 피아노를 연주했고, 브로드웨이에서 “해밀턴”을 감독했으며 이 쇼의 감독이자 제작자인 토마스 카일은 “DNA에 음악이 있다”고 평했다.

Hunter knew her grandfather only later in his life, after he had changed his name to Eddy Courts, and by the time she was 10 or 11 years old, he was “quite sick” with Parkinson’s, she said. She didn’t learn about his wartime experiences until after he died. Still, she shared with Lerman details that wouldn’t make it onto the screen in an explicit way.
헌터는 그녀의 할아버지를 그가 이름을 Eddy Courts로 바꾼 후 생애 후반에만 알았으며, 그녀가 10살 내지 11살이었을때 그는 파킨슨병 때문에 “꽤 편찮으셨다”고 말했다. 그녀는 그가 작고하기 전까지 그의 전시상황 경험들을 알지 못했다. 그러나 그녀는 분명한 방향으로 화면에 나타나진 않을 상세한 점들을 레먼과 공유했다.

“The fact that he made everything in his house by hand, that he only spoke French at the dinner table, his little mannerisms,” Hunter said. “I think it was really important to Logan to peel back the layers on his character and understand who he was. It was so important to me that Logan was open to that kind of information, because it just meant he cared.”
“집에서 모든 걸 직접 손으로 만드셨고, 저녁식사에서는 프랑스어로만 말하는 그런 버릇들이요,” 헌터가 말했다. “그가 누구인지 이해하고 캐릭터의 막들을 벗겨내기 위해 로건에게 매우 중요했다고 생각해요. 로건이 그런 정보들에 열려있었던 건, 그가 캐릭터를 신경쓴다는 뜻이니까 저에게 매우 중요했어요.”

Hunter said he nailed the portrayal, adding that there were similarities between the actor and her grandfather. “They share so much of that soulfulness, that charisma, that confidence,” she said.
헌터는 배우와 그녀의 할아버지 사이의 닮은 점들을 덧붙이며 그가 성공적으로 묘사했다고 했다. “둘은 충만함과 카리스마, 자신감이 정말 많이 닮았어요.”

IMG_8226.png

Lerman said that Hunter’s presence on set yielded “a different level of connection to the material” than he had previously experienced on a job. But he never felt constrained by having Hunter and her mother on set — both had cameos in the series — to watch him portray their ancestor.
레먼은 촬영장에서 헌터의 존재가 이전에 경험했던 것보다 “다른 레벨의 연결점”을 만들어냈다고 했다. 하지만 헌터와 그녀의 어머니가-그들 모두 시리즈에 카메오로 출연했다- 그가 그들의 선조를 연기하는걸 보는 게 부자연스럽다고 느끼지 않았다.

Instead, he was reassured by them that he could bring his interpretation to the material, including the sarcasm and humor of his own grandfather. The performance stands as a homage to both men, and it was made more poignant still when Lerman’s grandfather died, at 95, a week after the production ended.
대신, 그는 자신의 할아버지의 냉소와 유머를 포함해 연기에 대한 그만의 해석을 끌어내도 된다고 그들로부터 안심을 받았다. 연기는 두 남자에 대한 오마주를 담았고, 제작이 끝난 후 일주일 뒤 레먼의 할아버지가 95세의 나이로 돌아가시면서 안타까움을 더했다.

“I talked to him about this a lot,” Lerman said. “And I was really excited for him to see it.”
“할아버지께 쇼에 대해 많이 말씀드렸어요,” “그 분께 보여드리려니 정말 신이 났죠.” 레먼이 말했다.